Black Orchid Consulting is a business consulting firm. They have pressing project delivery targets to meet with looming deadlines. Envisaged project delivery delays due to late delivery of supplies were reported in the last project team meeting. The project partners were not amused by the variance report and threatened to invoke penalty clauses if delivery timelines changed.
The Black Orchid Consulting project team is under immense pressure and team members are showing signs of stress.
- What would be an emotionally intelligent response by the project team members to this situation?
- What would be a poor emotional intelligence response?
- What emotional intelligence qualities would the team members need to successfully navigate this situation?
1. Emotionally Intelligent Response
- a) Viewing the situation as a challenge
- b) Viewing situation as a problem solving opportunity
- c) Seeing learning opportunities
- d) Seeing team building opportunities through collective problem solving and decision making
- e) view negative emotions as distractions to be avoided
- f) deploying stress deflection through strategic attention allocation
- g) shift attention away from stress to problem solving and execution
- h) tune out of negative emotions mode and tuning in to positive emotions
- i) deploy emotional intelligence competencies to problem solving and solution execution
2. Poor Emotional Intelligent Response
- a) respond to the perceived problem with negative emotions like anger, anxiety, resentment, bitterness, frustration, etc.
- b) respond to the negative emotions with ineffective coping mechanisms like blame shifting, avoidance, faulty causal analysis, attribution errors and other cognitive distortions
- c) deploy poor coping mechanisms like poor lifestyle choices in attempted avoidance and escapism
- d) depressed frontal lobe functions
- e) suppressed executive brain functions
- f) arrested capacity to perform
- g) lack of motivation and drive
Emotional Intelligence Qualities